Friday, April 6, 2007

Snow and Ice

Bird called this morning to announce that it was snowing in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I had just arrived at work, after scraping freezing rain off my car's window. What's wrong with this picture? Dang, the weather phenomena are supposed to be reversed. I have covered parking at work, thank goodness, but I can see the pine tree needles outside my window with their clear, icy glaze on them. It's been so warm here lately, I'm hoping driving won't be difficult. But, and ER, you listen to this part: at least I only have a five-minute commute.

A few weeks ago, when ER joined me in Boulder, I had some trail mix at a spa and got a taste, for the first time, believe it or not, of dried cherries. OMG. They were so good. Now, I've found that my Safeway sells whole bags of these dried cherries and I'm worried my skin will turn blood-red because I can't stop eating them--I mixed them with plain almonds the other night and yuuuuum!

There's a whole section in the Safeway where only organic food is sold and they have bulk, serve-yourself bins full of organic oatmeal, cous cous, rice, nuts, you name it. There's a section with organic juice, organic vegetables. Not what you'd find at the local Oklahoma Homeland.

Oh, man, the coolest thing about Boulder is that the city's dress code (and the dress code my office follows) is pretty much "college" dress code. Everything is casual. Fridays here are very casual and the rest of the week is somewhere between casual and business casual. Some people, actually, wear jeans every day. When you have meetings with outside people, you dress up...or if bigwigs are in the building, you dress up, but that's the only time. Ohhhhhh, how I love this dress code!!!

I finally figured out how to stream in live CNN audio...I'd grown accustomed to being able to have CNN on all day in my old office and this is as close as I can get. I can't stand not knowing about breaking news when it breaks. News junkie, news junkie. The pet food recalls are making me crazy with anger; I'm tempted to tell ER to start feeding people food to the critters. Melamine? Who would put melamine in food? Melamine are those cheap, plastic plates that you can't microwave or they'll get hot and melt (that should be a sign). I just heard someone on CNN say not to feed your animal anything that has the word "by-products" in the ingredients. What? Dang, almost all dog and cat foods are filled with "by-products." If any of my critters dies, I will go postal.

Ahh, as I look outside, the dreary rain has turned to snow. ER just said snow was falling at my Okie home, too. Nice to share some white weather with y'all.

3 comments:

Erudite Redneck said...

I am afraid you are goin' to get toooo used to that short commute.

Erudite Redneck said...

So, like, they *do* sell meat in Boulder, right?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.