Friday, April 6, 2007

Freezing raining cats and dogs

My first weekend here near America's heaven and it's icy. Hwy 36, the highway between Boulder and Denver, is closed westbound because of icy roads and multiple accidents. This is supposed to happen all weekend. My big excitement may be doing laundry and taxes.

Tonight there was a story on TV about a Boston Terrier that had disappeared from his suburban Kansas City home four years ago. He was found wandering around in Billings, Montana and taken to a shelter. They noticed that he had one of those microchips in him and they were able to reunite the dog with his "parents" after four long years. This is when we wish that dogs could talk -- I'd love to hear the story about how he ended up in Montana! I nearly got teary-eyed, though, as Bird and YankeeBeau's dogs, Fenway and Apollo, are Boston Terriers and I love them both dearly. So Bird, y'all get those microchips in your babies!!!

Speaking of disappearing animals...you know, Ice-T came to us so small he was really too young to be weaned (those were the days of his sleeping on a potholder in the bathroom with a litter box that was an old aluminum loaf pan!)...and his arrival overlapped with the "time of Mao." Mao, named so because ER was studying China and when she talked, she said "mao" all the time. Mao was sort of a neighborhood cat, but we claimed her most. Each neighbor had a different name for her. But within a month of Ice-T's arrival, Mao disappeared. And she was real "street," too, so it's not like she didn't know how to take care of herself. I still get sad when I think of her being gone -- one neighbor thinks she might have hopped onto a moving van when a neighbor down the street moved. Mao loved me. Ice-T barely tolerates me.

A woman I work with now is such a dog lover that she carries a spare leash and collar with her in her car so she can save stray dogs if she comes upon them; she's even nearly gotten herself killed, running into the street to save dogs. They tell me that it's REQUIRED in Boulder that you have a dog -- an exaggeration, but only a slight one. My peeps at work all asked me early in the week if I was able to bring one of my dogs with me. I may get lonely for a dog and go get ME a Boston terrier!!!

We are, indeed, stewards of these little critters.

1 comment:

Erudite Redneck said...

Little dog-shaped jewels in the crown of:

"A woman I work with now is such a dog lover that she carries a spare leash and collar with her in her car so she can save stray dogs if she comes upon them ... "